Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Dogs, Death, and Dementors

It is the night of December 6, 2010. I jerk awake. I am cold, and shivering, despite wearing my warmest sweatpants, hat and sweatshirt. Despite being huddled in my warmest sleeping bag, I am cold. Ice cold. The room is dark. The light in the neighboring bathroom casts and eery glow, but provides no comfort. Darkness, black, and thick, makes me feel as  if I am drowning in a river of dark icy water. I panick. I cannot hear Rosie snoring, and worse, I can't find her. Where is she? She had been lying in the sleeping bag next to me, but now I can't see her. Fervently scanning the room, I see her outline siloutted against the light of the bathroom, as she lay near the door. Cautiously I creep to her, expecting to find her dead.
   Earlier today we returned from a vacation, to discover that while we were gone, Rosie suffered a heart attack. Fortunately my cousin Dallin was dog sitting, saw her go into cardiac arrest, and rushed her to the vet. They were able to give her some medication, pump fluid out of her lungs, and buy us some extra time. They sent her home with Dallin, but the prognosis is not good. She is in the final stages of congestive heart failure, and honestly she is not expected to survive the night. The vet also gave Dallin her home phone number, so we can call in the middle of the night, if we need the vet to make a house call in order to put Rosie down. I thank God that Dallin was here, and took action. I am so sorry to put him into that position. Can you imagine? He is dog sitting the world's most pampered pet, and he has to tell us that she almost died, is currently actively dying, and probably won't last the night? Words will never express the gratefulness and love I have for him. I wish I could take back the stress and anxiety that he must have endured. I cannot imagine the horror of being in his place, but I am so so thankful he was here.
   As I approach, Rosie lifts her head to look at me with those big brown trusting eyes, then turns her head away, and refuses to look at me any more. She doesn't move, and her breathing is labored. I sit next to her, and rub her belly. I talk to her of all the great memories we have, and that I am glad she didn't leave while I was on vacation. I am cold, afraid, and trembling. I wonder if "this is it" for her. There is a dark and icy feel to the room, that comes and goes with Rosie's breathing. I am reminded of Harry Potter, and know exactly what J.K. Rowling describes as the dementors making you feel as if "you will never be happy again." After about 5 minutes, Rosie stands up, still refuses to look at me and wanders to the other side of the room, where she gives a cough, then seems to collapse. The feeling of dementors is strong as I rush to her, and rub her belly in the cold darkness. She refuses to look at me, and gets up to move again. Again, I sit next to her.The process repeats for over 3 hours. I tell her that I will NOT let her die alone, and that she can try to hide from me, but I am not going anywhere. Finally, she sleeps, and the icy cold feelings of dementors slip away as the sun rises.
   Miraculously, Rosie survives two small heart attacks in the night, and we wake together Tuesday morning. She is tired, but appears to be happy. I stay with her all day Tuesday. We watch a lot of t.v. and take a nap in the sun. I take her to Petsmart to let her pick out a new toy, knowing it will be the last time we get to shop together. She chooses a new "chicken" and tries to kill it in the store. She even carries it to the front counter so I can pay for it. Tuesday night comes, and along with it, more darkness, the swirling chill of cold, cold, dementors. I speak to the darkness, boldly telling the dementors to go away, that they are not welcome here tonight, and the feeling of doom dissapates. Rosie has one small heart attack, but yet again survives.
   For the next few days, she begins to perk up. She acts like her old self. Kills her chicken, plays outside, and even went to work with Clint for a few minutes. The nights were relaxing, and I didn't hear anymore outward threats from the dementors, but I could always feel them lingering nearby.
   Friday, we decide to take her to Island Park. Clint wants her to see the cabin. She loves it. She pees in the snow, she lays on the couch, she even musters the energy to climb into the loft and gaze over the railing. I let her sleep on the bed with me, we have a good time. Friday night when we went to bed, I kiss her and tell her how glad I am she is here, and ask her to please stay the night with me. We sleep without incident.
   Saturday we wake, have breakfast, and head into Westy for some shopping. Rosie loves the drive into town, and I hold her in my lap so she can see out of the window. I notice that her tongue is not a bright pink, but a darker purple, and I worry about her oxygen levels. I know she is dying. I know I am not yet ready to accept it. That night as Rosie sleeps on the couch watching a movie with JB, I have an enormous anxiety attack. I KNOW without a doubt that Rosie is leaving soon. I talk to Clint about a plan. What happens if....we formulate a plan, praying that we don't have to carry it out, and I sob in the shower like I have never sobbed before. I Thank God that Rosie gave us that extra week, and I pray that I have the strength to do what needs to be done, that I make good decisions, and that Rosie doesn't suffer when the time comes for her to leave. Together Rosie and I lie on the bed to rest. I am afraid to sleep. Every little movement might be her last. I wait. I rub her tummy. I wait for the dementors. I wait for death.
   Sunday, December 12, at 5:30 am, Rosie coughs. HARD. I bolt upright and hold her in my arms, She coughs again, and a yellow foam begins to pour from her nose. I know without a doubt that this is it. I call Clint, he joins us. I look into her eyes, her big brown eyes, expecting to see fear, or anxiety about not being able to breath, I am prepared to calm her, but instead, I see peace. She is not afraid. She is not anxious. She is calm, and very peaceful, and that calms me. She coughs again. I hold her, I rub her tummy, and tell her we will miss her. I kiss her one last time. I ask God to not let her suffer, to take her quickly, and within seconds, she is gone. Less than 2 minutes passed from when she first coughed, to when she was gone. Quick. Peaceful, and no dementors. Death came for her, and I was warm. I was calm. Sad, but calm.The room was bright, even thought the lights were dim, and there was no fear, or anxiety. Just gratefulness that I was allowed to be a part of something so beautiful.
  Clint went upstairs to tell Jenna that Rosie was gone, but when he got there, she was awake and already knew. She says Rosie came to her and said good bye. I am thankful for that. Rosie is the only pet that Jenna has really known, and I am glad that Rosie left behind such wonderful memories.
  I don't know how to put into words what I learned that morning. I could sense that even though I have no idea what types of spirits those "dementors" are, they are not what I would call "the angel of death." The dementors are dark, cold and scary. When death came it was bright, warm, and peaceful. Knowing this has made a difference in my opinion of end of life circumstances.
I have learned that:
1. I must have a plan. When death comes it is a very emotional time. It was helpful to have a plan, and lessened the anxiety because I knew what would happen next. It is my goal to by the end of the year have my will, and desired outcomes completed and easy to find. Jenna is only 11, but I will go over the plan with her...just in case. I feel a strong plan is the best end of life gift I can give her.
2. I am afraid of dying. I never thought I would be. My fear of death stems more from fear of the unknown, and fear of the dementors, and less from the fear of actually being dead. I guess I am more worried about "getting dead", than I actually am of "being dead."
3. I believe there is something else out there. Some claim it is an after life, that we are surrounded by family and friends that go before us. Some claim we turn back into balls of energy that float around providing life to the inhabitants of earth. I don't know for sure whats going on, but I believe there is SOMETHING. I will just have to wait (hopefully a LONG time) before I know for certain what that something is. :-)

Until that time, I pray I die well. I pray that my plan will be in place, and that my passing will not be difficult for those I love. I will cherish the friendships I have NOW, and the memories I have of those who have gone on before me.  I hope they ALL come for me when it is my time, because I am expecting one helluva party!

3 comments:

ashes said...

You're a Baggs! Of course there will be a party!

The SHEFFER clan said...

I so agree with what you said... it's not being dead it is getting dead that is scary. So true!

Your post brought back a lot of memories about kitty. By the time he died I was desperately praying it would just be over. So grateful for my good husband that was by my side and shared my desire for Kitty not to leave this world alone. It was horrible and beautiful all at the same time.

I like to think I will see kitty again. Because I can't think of "eternal joy" without him.

McDougald Family said...

You are a beautiful writer. Absolutely beautiful.