Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Canon Country Landscape/zoom


Yesterday we went to Hardware Ranch. There is hardly any snow, and consequently the numbers of elk are significantly down as well. Our guide told  us that last year there were over 600 elk wintering at the ranch, while this year the highest count has been about 130 elk. Last year a dozen or so big Bull Elk came in for feed, but this year only two little spike males have made the trip. No snow means they can still access the meadow grass, and don't really need the free meal. It also means less elk for humans to look at. It was Still a good opportunity to play with my new telephoto lens. The first image was shot from the Visitors center, with the 75 mm portion of the lens. The other two images were at full zoom of 300 mm. I liked how the lens felt in my hand, and even though I did not have a tripod, and light was fairly low I didn't get a lot of camera shake. I think this will be a great lens to take to Yellowstone. As for over all every day use though, I prefer the 18-55mm kit lens, as I found 75 mm was still just TOO CLOSE for everyday shooting. 






To see the photos from the rest of our super cold day, check out my flickr page here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tlcbull/sets/72157628912104937/


1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is Tosha. Agreed on your posting comparing the two lenses. However, I was in Yellowstone Memorial Weekend and found my 330 zoom to come in handy. I was able to shoot a buffalo with his tongue up his nose from across a crowded Asian infested parking lot and got a fab shot. Compared to the Asian tourist that was standing 3' away from the animal. I was banking on a gouge shot, but never got it. So make sure you have it on hand. It also came in handy at the "Little Grand Canyon" I played with my motion speed there. I will say any shots of the kids did have to be taking with the smaller kit lens otherwise you could see their fingers in their noses all too well.