Monday, January 16, 2012

Canon Country No flash mode

The Girl Scout Cookie Kick Off on Friday night, provided me with a great opportunity to use the camera in the "flash off" mode. This mode takes pictures in nearly fully automatic mode, with the exception being that if low light is detected the flash will not fire. Fortunately there seemed to be enough ambient light that a flash was not necessary. Because of no flash, movements are blurred. In photo 1, we see JB and one of her friends (we will call her M) being silly for the camera. You will notice their waving hands are not in focus. I am ok with this, because of the low light/no flash situation, and because I like the feeling of movement the blur provides. In photo 2, I cropped in a bit closer, but did not make any other changes.


Photo 1

Photo 2



Photo 3


Ok, Ok, I know I said I wouldn't do a lot of post processing, but photo 3 is an example of where I just could not contain myself. Jb and M pulled M's younger sister into the frame, and are waiving frantically. There is a red bag  lurking distractingly in the back ground, a person in a purple shirt is also in the background, along with a lot of extra wasted space and wires plugged into the stairs. Irritating! So I cropped the photo in tighter, eliminating the red bag and wires. I then darkened the area with the purple shirt person, and cloned over the frantically waiving arm. JB is still staring into space which is mildly annoying, but my photoshop skills are not yet at the point where I could replace her eyes with ones that ARE looking at the camera. Something I will work on later. But for now, I am pleased with the result shown in photo 4.


Things I would do differently? Wait for JB to look at me BEFORE taking the shot. Well, I am now headed out to Hardware Ranch to see the elk and test out my telephoto lens. More on how that goes tomorrow.

No comments: