Sunday, February 17, 2013

Lenten Reflection: Feb. 17


Acts 20:35

King James Version (KJV)
35 I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

My reflection:  This brought back some fun memories of my childhood. Dad and I are hiding behind a bush, at night, in the cold, developing our strategy for "doorbell ditching" a family in the ward. We had a cardboard box full of canned goods, and were delivering it.... secretly. I remember the thrill of sneaking up on the house, heart racing, and pushing the doorbell, as Dad laid the box on the porch, then running as fast as I could back to the bushes to watch as the door opened and the family discovered our little surprise. 
   My parents have always been great examples to me in the stewardship and caring of others. Whenever someone knocked on our door asking for donations for a food drive, Mom was always able to spare a can or two. I don't think she EVER said no to making a donation. When I was in college, and we were making simple baby blankets to donate to the hospital, she kicked in a few she had made as well. 
   Through their example, I have learned about giving to others, and continue to enjoy the blessings of this practice by giving to my own "causes." I knit prayer shawls for my church, that are given to people as a token of God's love and support as they struggle through illness, the death of a spouse or friend, or even for happy occasions such as weddings and births. I can always find a can or two for food drives, and have even been known to knit baby hats for the preemie ward. I know that now, I get to be the Mom, and I know JB is watching me. I hope I can be as good of an example for her as my parents were for me.

No comments: