Saturday, February 23, 2013

Lenten Reflection: Feb. 23


Matthew 6:19-21

King James Version (KJV)
19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

My reflection: I don't know how I feel about this passage. It is my opinion, that earthly treasure helps a lot in putting up your heavenly treasure... I remember the exact moment in my life when I received my first credit card in the mail. It had a $200.00 credit limit. I cried with joy, because the rent on our little house we lived in was due in three days and I had no idea how I was going to pay it. The cost of our rent was exactly $200.00. I was able to use the credit card to pay that month's rent, and we were able to make ends meet. That time of my life was great in the sense of adventure, being newly married and still in college, the world was big exciting place. But money was tight and stress was high. It was hard. I don't really want to do it again. 
Now, I feel I am very blessed by the opportunity to knit prayer shawls, and give my knitting away as gifts of love. But, without the "earthly treasure" that my husband brings to our family, I would need to be in the work place on a daily basis, so I would not have the time needed to knit the shawls. If it wasn't for our earthly treasure, I would need to use the money I made working, for food, or to cover my head with a shelter and I would not be able to afford the yarn to knit with. My heart truly lives through my little projects, and I am very grateful for the earthly treasure available to me, to make it possible.

No comments: