Monday, February 18, 2013

Lenten Reflection: Feb. 18


Matthew 25:37-40

King James Version (KJV)
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.



My Reflection: This photo was taken in Aug 2010 at the Cache Community Food Pantry. Pastor Susan started a "First Tuesday Ministry" where on the first Tuesday of each month members of the congregation go to the food pantry to pass out muffins/orange juice/hot coffee/cocoa to the people waiting in line. My orders were document the occasion in photos, and due to privacy reasons of the patrons of the food bank, I was to only take pictures of people involved with St. John's. Well this young man saw me taking pictures, and wanted so desperately for me to take HIS picture. I tried to tell him I couldn't, but he didn't speak enough English to understand my reasons. Finally, Mom saw our conversation, and told me it was alright to take his picture, so I did, then I showed the image to him on the back of the camera. His face lit up and he was so excited. I sincerely wish I had a portable printer that I could have printed it out and given it to him. But I didn't, and I still have NO IDEA who he was. I love this image, because I remember him, and his excitement, but more than that I can see the purity in his eyes. He was shucking corn, peeling off the soggy, rotting layers of husk, until he got to the cleaner layers below. He was doing this not just to help his Momma, but as a service to the other patrons of the food pantry. It was a stinky, dirty, messy job, but this youngster was happy to do it. Even though he was small, he found a way that he could help and he dove in with both hands and one big heart. 

For more images of that day, click here:

1 comment:

ashes said...

Oh my heavens... I want to snatch him right up! Someone in church last week mentioned not the 'Sunday School' answers, but the 'Primary' answers. While not too different from one another, there is the fundamental difference of pure love and innocence. Put a new spin on things I hadn't thought about before.