Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Lenten Reflection: March 12


1 John 3:17

King James Version (KJV)
17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?

My Reflection: It is not uncommon for people who are in financial need to approach the church for aid. I know that. But I was taken aback a year or so ago when I was at my knitting group and went into the church office to make a photo copy. On the receptionists desk was a bright red note that read "Please DO NOT give (name with-held) any more money. He is NOT eligible to receive any more funds from us." I knew the person, and was a bit concerned. I knew he had some mental health issues, and I was worried for his welfare, so I asked Pastor Susan why he was being cut off. In my mind she had no right to cut him off, he was a mentally ill person in need of assistance, and she, as Pastor of the Parish, had the obligation to see to it that he was cared for. I was troubled, so I asked her about it. Patiently, she explained to me that when this person came to get a check to pay his rent, and buy groceries, he would often cash the check, then purchase weird things like new hats, and video games. The money they were giving him was NOT being used for its intended purpose. So, she told him he could not have any more money. Then she contacted the landlord of his apartment building, and had arranged for the church office to pay his rent directly. He was referred to a mental health agency that would be given grocery gift cards to help purchase his meals for him, but he, himself was not to be given any more money.
This experience made me wonder how often I jump to conclusions, eager to pass judgement, when I don't have all of the information. It was very easy for me to conclude that the needs of this man were not being met by the church, but in fact, they were (and notice, I didn't exactly jump up to volunteer to take the guy shopping every week...)The older I become, the more I realize EVERYONE has their own  story, and I need to learn to judge less and love more. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too find myself jumping to conclusions. Seeing the whole story is sometimes difficult and more often than not, I now don't want to know any more of the story.

Isn't it nice to have the opportunity to help others when you can?