Saturday, March 23, 2013

Lenten Reflection: March 23


Romans 14:2

English Standard Version (ESV)
One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables.


My Reflection: HAHHAAAHHAAAA! I must be the weakest of them all! Since I had my gall bladder out, I have not been able to beef, or any type of beef stock. Fortunately I am OK with dairy still, but the actual meat proteins are just too much for me to handle. Lately I have had to be careful with any chicken I eat, and make sure I do not eat a lot of it. Likewise with fish and pork. I can eat it, but only in small amounts, and only if it is not prepared with any type of beef stock. Well, this little physical abnormality has made traveling interesting. Just after my gall bladder surgery and before I knew my situation like I do now, our family went with Clint to a business trip to NYC. We were headed to Ellis Island, and stopped at Grand Central Station for lunch. I had a salad, and JB had a grilled cheese sandwich with french fries. Well, she couldn't eat all of her fries, so I helped her out. About 1 hour later, I seriously regretted that decision. The fries MUST have been fried in some type of animal (and most likely beef)  fat because I became so so ill. I can honestly say I went to Ellis Island and didn't see a thing. Unless you count the bathroom, of course. So now, when I travel, it is green veggie only. No meat, no french fries, only vegetarian style soups. I will not eat meat unless I am in a position where I can prepare it myself, and know EXACTLY what goes into it.

No comments: