Monday, March 4, 2013

Lenten Reflection: March 4


Matthew 5:6

King James Version (KJV)
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

My Reflection:

When I read this passage, I think of goal setting, because if we are truly hungering after something, we are willing to work hard to get it. It is like setting a goal and working to achieve it. When I think of goal setting and working to achieve things, I think of girl scouting, and when I think of girl scouting, I think of JB. True, I was in Girl scouting as a child, and LOVED it, but did not get back into it as an adult until JB requested it when she was in 5th grade. She has been in scouting for 4 years now, and though she liked it at first, right now, she HATES it, and delights in telling everyone how I force her to attend against her will.  This morning, in an attempt to avoid cleaning the dishes, I sewed a few recently earned patches onto JB's girl scout vest.  According to JB, the girl scout program "Doesn't offer me anything." But when I look at her patch vest from the last three years, I am amazed at the opportunities girl scouting has granted her.




She has been to scout camp, and to a rally at the capitol. To Savannah Georgia to see the birthplace of Juliette Gordon Low, and to camporee. She has learned to teach children, how to rock climb, how to sell cookies, how to count money, and how to present herself to a large group of people. She has taken on ever increasing leadership roles, from leading a troop meeting to  most recently being the MC for our Leader Recognition event. She has been hiking, and swimming, and has learned many new skills from Architecture to Zoo-keeping. I think she has done fairly well participating in a program that doesn't offer her anything... I wonder what she could learn if she did WANT to participate, and used this opportunity to it's fullest? Girl scouting is a girl led program, that really lends itself to doing WHATEVER the girls want to do. If she wants to do it, girl scouting can make it happen. I think I will never know, because she is adamant about not wanting me to sign her up for next year. Maybe I will just FORCE her. I mean, in her mind I'm doing that now anyway, I can't see any reason to stop... (shrug).

No comments: